Section 609 FAQ’s

Below is a list of frequently asked asked questions regarding Section 609 certification and the new refrigerant purchasing rules effective January 1, 2018. Please review this information and if you have any questions feel free to call our toll free number at 800-278-0788

If you are interested in taking the course with us in Mesa, Az.

If you have a group of 4 or more give us a call, we can arrange a private class for your group.

Q. What is Section 609 Certification?

A. Part of the U.S. Clean Air Act of 1990. It is a federal law that since 1992 has required technicians working for pay to be certified to recover and recycle refrigerant. It restricted purchase of R-12 to certified technicians. As of 1/1/2018, purchase of containers of refrigerants of two pounds or more is restricted to certified technicians. You must display a Section 609 card in order to purchase containers of refrigerant in quantities of two pounds or more.

Q. How can I become Section 609 Certified?

A: Join our training at our location in Mesa, Arizona. We offer this training in both English and Spanish, We also offer private classes for a group. Cost of the course is $49 and includes your course, your certification, and your card.

Learn Online: The Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS) Worldwide provides testing on our website at   Testing is available online and is the fastest way to obtain your Section 609 credential. It is also available as independent home study format . Training classes for groups can be arranged by calling 215-631-7020 X 304.

Q. What score is needed to pass the test?

A. A minimum score of 84 needs to be achieved to pass the online or home study open book test. Proctored closed book group test takers must achieve a score of 72. The test taker gets two chances to pass the online or home study test. If the first test is failed a second chance test is provided.

Q. I am already Section 609 certified. Do I need to be re-certified?

A. If you were certified anytime since 1991 there is no required re-certification! Your certification is good for life. However, in 2015 the Section 609 program was updated to include training information for working with R-1234yf.It is strongly recommended to re-certify to obtain this training if you plan to service R-1234yf vehicles.

Q. How can I get a copy of my previous certification?

A. MACS Worldwide can provide a reprint of your Section 609 credentials ONLY if you were certified by MACS or IMACA. A reprint search costs $10 and you need to completely fill out a form for MACS to search for your record.A charge of $10 will be assessed for all searches of our database even if we do not find your credentials.

DO NOT FAX YOUR REPRINT REQUEST MORE THAN ONCE! DUPLICATES ARE SLOWING DOWN OUR SERVICE TO YOU! If you were certified by another provider please contact that provider.

Please do not request a copy of your certification unless you are absolutely positive you took a MACS or IMACA Section 609 test. If you can’t remember you are better served taking the test again. MACS is not ASE. ASE is not MACS.

Q. What does a MACS Section 609 card look like?

A. Older Cards will not say HFO-1234yf, very old cards say CFC-12 and do not say Section 609 and they are still valid. If a distributor disputes your card have them call the MACS office at 215-631-7020 X 0.